Porcelain Veneers and Fillings
Porcelain veneers are thin layers of porcelain shell made to match the shade of your natural teeth.
They are placed on the front surface of your teeth.
Porcelain veneers are crafted to enhance aesthetics and cover flaws of the teeth.
Functions of Porcelain Veneers
- Restore the natural colour of teeth that resist to regular teeth whitening
- Rehabilitate the shape of the teeth (e.g. chipped, cracked, broken teeth)
- Close the gaps between teeth
- Add length to worn teeth caused by teeth grinding
- Straighten misaligned or crooked teeth
- Correct stained teeth that can’t be treated with traditional whitening
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Produce quick results and can be completed in only two dental visits
- Non-invasive cosmetic dental procedure
- Biocompatible treatment that doesn’t harm surrounding tissues
- Looks and feels very realistic and natural
- Makes teeth less prone to stains and decay
- With proper care and maintenance, porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years or more
Tooth-coloured fillings, at the same time, are restorative and cosmetic solutions to parts of the tooth that have been lost due to infection or decay. They function and look like a part of the tooth surface and are made to last for a long time.
Benefits of Fillings
- Requires minimal tooth preparation
- Conservative and non-invasive treatment
- Offers quick and long-lasting results
- Natural tooth appearance
- Help prevent breakage and damage
- Bonds and supports the remaining tooth structure
- Insulates tooth from extreme temperature changes
If the abovementioned advantages made you decide to get porcelain veneers and fillings, here are the procedures you will undergo during the process:
Consultation and Diagnosis. The first step in the process of getting porcelain veneers is visiting your dentist for a consultation. Tell your dentist about the results you want to achieve.
Your dentist will examine you to make sure that you are qualified to get porcelain veneers. If so, your dentist will discuss the procedure you are going to undergo.
Preparation. Your dentist will use a local anaesthetic to numb the area around the tooth to be filled. Your dentist will use a drill to clean the areas that need to be filled.
To prepare you for veneers, your dentist will remove a layer of your tooth enamel, which is the equivalent thickness of the porcelain veneer to be added to the surface of the teeth.
Next, your dentist will prepare an impression of your teeth. This mould will be sent to the dental laboratory, where your veneers are made. Usually, it takes 2-4 weeks before your dentist receives the veneers from the laboratory.
Filling. If the decay is near the root of your tooth, your dentist may put down a first layer, usually made of composite resin, to protect the sensitive nerves.
After that, your dentist will fill it in, harden it with a curing light, and polish it for a smooth finish.
Bonding. At your next appointment with your dentist, your veneers will be attached to your teeth.
But before that, your dentist will repeatedly fit and trim your veneers to make sure that they fit perfectly to your teeth. Next, your teeth will be prepared by cleaning, polishing, and roughening.
This allows the teeth to attach securely to the veneer. The veneer is then placed on your tooth using special cement. Once placed on the teeth, your dentist will harden the cement by using a curing light.
Excess cement will be removed, and final adjustments will be made. Your dentist might recommend you come back for a follow-up visit to examine the veneer’s placement.
Porcelain Veneers and Fillings at Preston Supreme Dental
Preston Supreme Dental provides cosmetic dental treatments to solve insecurities with the appearance of your teeth. Our dental team offers the latest technology in cosmetic dentistry.
Call us on (03) 9478 7708 or visit us at 243 Murray Road in Preston.
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. As a preferred provider for NIB, CBHS and HCF
We are located across Woolworths Supermarket and beside Preston Market
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)