Knocked Out Tooth
If a permanent tooth is knocked out, there is a reasonable chance that it will survive if it is restored to its socket.
Every minute is crucial when the tooth is out of the socket; its survival chance is decreased as time goes on.
Do not place a knocked-out baby tooth back in the jaw, for it will affect the growth of the developing permanent tooth underneath the gum.
Knocked out adult tooth
If an adult tooth is knocked out:
- Do not handle the tooth by its root (sharp part). Instead, hold it by its crown (smooth part).
- If the tooth is dirty, rinse it gently with milk or saline solution. Do not use water.
- If possible, try to place it back in its socket. Bite down gently on a gauze or a wet tea bag. This helps to keep the tooth in place. Be careful not to swallow the tooth.
- If you cannot place the tooth back, soak it in milk or saliva (preferably the patient’s). Do not let it dry out.
- Seek immediate treatment from your dentist.
Knocked out baby tooth
- Do not put a knocked out baby tooth back in the gum because it might fuse to the bone. Putting the tooth back might cause problems when it is time for the tooth to fall out naturally. It may affect the growth of the developing permanent tooth. Worse, it might damage the developing permanent tooth.
- See your dentist. Have the child checked for damage to the teeth or mouth.
Broken or Fractured Tooth
Broken or fractured teeth may or may not be painful. If the tooth has exposed, sharp edges, have the patient bite on a damp cloth to avoid biting their lips or tongue.
When the crack runs to the root and gradually wears away the tooth, it is recommended to see a dentist as soon as possible. This condition can lead to tooth decay and worse complications.
Emergency Dental Care at Preston Supreme Dental
Preston Supreme Dental is ready to attend to your dental emergencies. We assure you of high-quality dental care.
Call our Preston clinic for an emergency appointment.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available!
We provide same day appointments for emergency cases. We also offer extended care for a wide range of dental emergencies.
If you have any dental emergencies that need immediate relief or attention, call us at (03) 9478 7708 to make an appointment or visit us at 243 Murray Road, Preston, Vic 3072
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. As a preferred provider for NIB, CBHS and HCF
We are located across Woolworths Supermarket and beside Preston Market
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)