Soft Tissues Injuries In The Mouth
When an injury occurs, they bleed easily because they are comprised of a large number of blood vessels.
When injuries like this happen, Preston Supreme Dental is your partner in addressing the resulting dental emergencies.
We have a same-day emergency appointment to help alleviate your pain in no time.
Common Soft Tissue Injuries and their Causes
Your mouth is composed of soft tissues like the gums, lips, tongue, and cheeks. They are so sensitive that even a small accident can injure them.
The following are the common soft tissue injuries:
- Tissue flaps
The following usually cause the abovementioned injuries:
- Strong blow or impact to the face
- Work-related accidents
- Sports accidents (sometimes due to not wearing mouthguards)
- Vehicular accidents
- Hard or sharp food like bones, tough bread, and candies
First Aid Steps
As mentioned, your soft tissues are very delicate. Handling injuries should be done carefully to avoid worsening them.
If you have wounds in the soft tissues of your mouth, follow these steps:
- Remove all foreign materials in your mouth by rinsing. Prepare lukewarm saltwater or antiseptic mouthwash. For the saltwater solution, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt to eight ounces of lukewarm water. Use this to clean your mouth several times a day.
- If there is bleeding, apply pressure on the injured area using clean gauze or any piece of clean, absorbent material. Do this for 10-15 minutes to control the bleeding.
- If there is swelling, hold covered ice over the injured area. This helps reduce swelling, bleeding, and pain.
- If the affected area continues to bleed after administering first aid procedures, there might be a serious underlying injury.
- Go to your dentist immediately.
Treatment at Preston Supreme Dental
At Preston Supreme Dental, your dentist will thoroughly examine your injury and see if any severe damage has taken place.
Your dentist will fix the problem areas and check if they need stitching. However, this only happens when the bleeding is persistent.
In most cases, your dentist will only clean the damaged area and make sure there is no foreign matter present to avoid infection.
Emergency Dental Care at Preston Supreme Dental
Preston Supreme Dental is ready to attend to your dental emergencies. We assure you of high-quality dental care.
Even suffering from acute pain requires immediate treatment. Call our Preston clinic for an emergency appointment. Do not disregard seeing your dentist even if you are feeling only a mild toothache. If untreated, the condition will worsen and may cause complications like tissue damage and abscess.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available!
If you have any dental emergencies that need immediate relief or attention, call us at (03) 9478 7708 to make an appointment or visit us at 243 Murray Road, Preston, Vic 3072
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. As a preferred provider for NIB, CBHS and HCF
We are located across Woolworths Supermarket and beside Preston Market
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)